- Special Sections
- Public Notices
I wonder what someone has slipped into the Tea Party’s namesake drink that caused the co-chair of that august though neophyte party in Roane County to pen the vitriolic letter to the editor that appeared in the Roane County News on Dec. 28.
In that opinion piece, he asserts the following;
1. President Obama blames capitalism for the poor performance of the economy.
2. Obama has assaulted capitalism for three years.
3. Obama ignores the rule of law, the Constitution and Congress
4. Obama “rules” through 38 mostly ignorant “czars.”
5. Obama is like Third World dictators.
6. Obama is using stimulus funds to fill his campaign coffers.
7. Obama is evil. (There was no mention of a bifurcated tail, red skin, trident, horns nor the No. 666, however)
8. Obama has inflicted such damage to the Democratic Party and America that it will take years for them to recover.
And in a flash of brilliant insight he, the writer, concluded that we need diversity of opinion and ideas for a healthy economy to prosper and grow.
I wonder if the writer is referring to the way the Tea Party has blocked all efforts of Congress to move forward on meaningful legislation.
Party members need to take a closer look at the leaves they are brewing and perhaps they can read in the patterns there a way forward that includes cooperation, deliberation and patriotic negotiation for the good of the country.
President Obama is president of all Americans, and the commander–in-chief of all our armed forces.
It’s fine with me if they oppose him and his policies, but I am offended that they would attack him, or anyone else in government service, on such a personal level.
Such language cannot be excused as “politics as usual.”