- Special Sections
- Public Notices
SATURDAY, FEB. 16
• Kingston First Baptist will have a Saturday women’s conference from 9 a.m. to noon in the sanctuary of the church at 215 N. Kentucky St. Tickets are $5 each; registration begins at 8:30 a.m. in the church atrium. Humorist and author Kay DeKalb Smith will be the speaker. Call the church office at 376-6041 for details.
• Dogwood Baptist Church, Kingston, will have a singing beginning at 7 p.m. The White Oak Trio and others will be singing. The church is on Dogwood Valley Road.
• Bethel Presbyterian Church, Kingston, will have a tai chi class at 9 a.m. in the church at 203 S. Kentucky St. Call 376-6340 or visit www.bethelpcusa.org for details.
MONDAY, FEB. 18
• A Presidents Day health fair will be in Luminary United Methodist Church at 3401 River Road, Ten Mile, from 8 a.m. to noon for most services. It will provide access to mammograms by appointment from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. for both uninsured and insured women ages 40 and older; call 305-9753 to schedule an appointment. Free bone density screening will be available with preregistration at 376-7040. Free comprehensive blood tests will be available for up to 100 people; 12-hour fasting (no food or drinks except water and black tea/coffee) is recommended. Other free medical tests include blood pressure readings; ear, nose and throat screening; vision screening; colon cancer screening; skin cancer screening; stroke screening; and possibly foot and ankle screening. Several area agencies and health-related organizations will share information on services available. Free refreshments will be available. Call 376-7040 for details.
• The art club at Bethel Presbyterian Church, Kingston, will meet at 10 a.m. in the church at 203 S. Kentucky St. Call 376-6340 or visit www.bethelpcusa.org for details.
• Bethel Arts Ministry, an art instruction program for ages 7 through teens, will be from 4 to 6 p.m. in Bethel Presbyterian Church at 203 S. Kentucky St., Kingston. Call 376-6340 or visit www.bethelpcusa.org for details.
TUESDAY, FEB. 19
• Bethel Presbyterian Church, Kingston, will have classes in the church at 203 S. Kentucky St. Spanish for Kids will be taught at 5 p.m.; beginning Spanish and tai chi will follow at 6 with advanced Spanish and English as a Second Language classes starting at 6:30. Call 376-6340 or visit www.bethelpcusa.org for details.
WEDNESDAY, FEB. 20
• Harriman’s communitywide Wednesday Lenten season services will start at noon in Harriman United Methodist Church at 601 Queen St. The Rev. Tony Boswell, pastor of Trenton Street Baptist Church, will lead worship. A light complimentary lunch will be served by representatives of South Harriman Baptist Church. Donations accepted during Lenten services will go to the Harriman Ministerial Association’s aid to transients fund.
THURSDAY, FEB. 21
• Voice in the Wilderness Ministries, Rockwood, has a free “Walking in Health/Praying for the Sick” class at 7 p.m. each Thursday at the church at 201 W. Rockwood St., Rockwood. The class teaches the principles of biblical health and how to pray for the sick. Contact the Rev. Sherry Powell at 466-0553 or email@example.com for details.
SUNDAY, FEB. 24
• Glenn Wheeler, former pastor of Harriman First Christian Church, will attend the 10:50 a.m. church service. A retired minister who, at age 87, is reaching his goal of writing a book a year for senior citizens, he will have a book signing at the close of morning services. The church is at Cumberland Street and Morgan Avenue. Call 882-3051 for details.
FRIDAY, MARCH 1
• Cedar Grove Baptist Church, Kingston, will have a two-day children’s consignment sale from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday and from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday in the church’s activities building. The church is at 407 Old Johnston Valley Road.