.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

County ambulance burns

-A A +A
By Damon Lawrence

A county ambulance caught on fire Sunday at Roane Medical Center.  

“No one was hurt,” Roane County Executive Ron Woody said. “It was put out real quick by the Harriman Fire Department.”

Woody said the fire wasn’t inside the ambulance, but underneath the chassis.

He said they believe the ambulance had a faulty air conditioner, which caused the fire.

“That’s the risk of being in a business like this,” he said. “You never know what’s going to happen to your equipment, whether it’s operator or mechanical error. In this case it was mechanical error.”

The ambulance had only been on the road for a few months, and Woody said it should still be under warranty.

“It’s not a total loss,” he said. “They’re going to have to do a lot of rewiring, put a new air condition on it.”

Woody said service shouldn’t be disrupted with the county down one ambulance.

“We have backups, so we had to do a little work to get a backup back going again,” he said. “We also have agreements with surrounding counties, where if they go down or we go down, we’ll transfer services around.”