Former Oliver Springs doctor indicted for TennCare fraud

-A A +A
By The Staff



An Anderson County grand jury has indicted a former Oliver Springs physician on charges of TennCare fraud and misdemeanor reckless endangerment.

Dr. Delvin E. Littell was arrested at his home on Wednesday, Tennessee Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Kristin Helms said. The doctor was investigated by the TBI, culminating in a search of his facility at the Oliver Springs Walk-in Medical Center in 2007.

“It was all really a result of the search warrant,” Helms said.

According to the indictment, Littell “did then and there unlawfully and knowingly aid or abet Julia England and/or Jeffrey England in obtaining, by means of a willfully false statement or representation to wit: excessive and/or medically unnecessary prescriptions for controlled substances beyond any authorizing rule, regulation or procedure governing TennCare medical assistance payments to which the person(s) is not entitled.”

He is also accused with unlawfully writing prescriptions for controlled substances that “were powerfully addictive, medically unnecessary and placed or could have placed the victims in imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury.”

TBI agents who raided the clinic in late February 2007 removed boxes of materials, but remained mostly silent on what they were looking for.

At that time, former TBI spokeswoman Jennifer Johnson only confirmed that the Medicaid Fraud Control unit had executed a search warrant of the property, which is on Hwy. 61 next to Riddle's Drugs.

Helms said that the TennCare fraud charge likely came from overbilling because "we only investigate provider fraud."

The misdemeanor reckless endangerment charge was for illegally and unnecessarily dispensing large amounts of prescription drugs, according to Helms.

The clinic was closed after the initial search warrant.

Littell posted a $10,000 bond at the Anderson County Jail.

According to minutes of the March 2008 Tennessee Board of Medical Examiners, Littell's medical license was surrendered after a consent order was accepted by the board.