- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Want to avoid the misery of a New Year’s hangover? Loyola University Health System family physician Dr. Aaron Michelfelder offers the following tips:
Before the Party:
• Plan to drink moderately — a maximum of five drinks for men and three drinks for women during a minimum three-hour period.
• To prevent inflammation, take an anti-inflammatory drug such as ibuprofen or Aleve.
During the Party:
• Eat first, and then drink, not the other way around. Food slows the absorption of alcohol.
• Drink slowly, and have a glass of water after each alcoholic drink.
• Take a B vitamin supplement.
After the Party:
• Do not drink and drive.
• Get as much sleep as possible.
The Morning After:
• Take another B vitamin.
• Drink lots of water.
• Exercise to help remove toxins.
(c) 2012 King Features Synd., Inc.