Look Back: A Little Something From Our Files From the Week of Oct. 23

-A A +A
By Cheryl Duncan, Assistant Editor

25 Years Ago
The Oliver Springs Bobcats ended a nine-year dry spell in football by clinching the District 2-A crown with a 15-14 win over Oneida. Coach Doug Brown’s Bobcats trailed in the third and final quarters, but the determined ‘Cats rallied and walked away with the win acting on Brown’s decision to go for a 2-point conversion. “It’s been a long time coming,” Brown said. “The credit goes to our boys. ... It was our goal from the beginning to win the district.” Bobby Tinker led in rushing with 106 yards on four carries. Keith Duggins was 1 yard behind him with 105 on 16 carries.

10 Years Ago

Midtown eased a step closer to losing its municipality status when Chancellor Frank Williams ruled the town’s charter was illegal. The area became a municipality in 1998 under what was called the Tiny Town law that allowed a community with 1,500 people and 3 miles from the nearest existing city to incorporate. It was among nine Tennessee towns incorporated under the General Assembly’s law that was later deemed unconstitutional. Williams was expected to sign an order freezing all of Midtown’s accounts. An appeal was planned.

Five Years Ago
Roane County’s medical community remembered a compassionate man who had a way with people as they mourned the loss of Harry Wade. Wade, 82, served as administrator of Harriman City Hospital for almost 37 years and was credited with many in the community for making Roane Medical Center what it is today. “He was very much a businessman, a community proponent and an efficient administrator,” said Dr. E.C. “Bert” Cunningham. “Most of all, he insisted on quality health care.”

One Year Ago

Eleven-year-old Corbin Moore of Rockwood bagged a big quarry — an elk field dressed at 610 pounds — making him the first youth to legally harvest the animal since it was reintroduced in the state 12 years ago. Corbin was drawn for one of five tags for Tennessee’s fourth managed elk hunt on the North Cumberland Wildlife Management Area. His father, Todd, cautioned Corbin on the obstruction of brush and trees that separated him from his target. “I will shoot him when I need to,” the youngster replied before pulling the trigger when the bull elk was 140 yards away.