- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Rockwood First Christian will celebrate 125 years of ministry to the community on Oct. 17.
The celebration begins at 10 a.m. with a welcome by Pastor Kara Foster, special singing and a brief presentation on the church’s history, with pictures from the past and present.
The worship service begins at 11 a.m. with preaching from the Rev. David Fulks, who grew up in the church and in Rockwood.
The celebration will continue afterward with a luncheon in the fellowship hall.
The roots of Rockwood First Christian Church extend far beyond 1885, when the first building was built.
Worship services actually began in 1868 at a sawmill near the site of the first Rockwood furnace. Elder J.H. Acuff of Post Oak Springs Christian Church preached at some of those early services. There were nine charter members, six of whom were transfers from Post Oak who wanted to begin a congregation.
Some distinctive firsts for the congregation was a full orchestra that began in 1909 and was a vital part of worship services through the 1950s.
Another contribution was the first Rockwood football team, started by Pastor Leland Cook in 1921. The church also sponsored Rockwood’s first Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops.
Rockwood First Christian Church is continuing the legacy of community service and beyond through mission trips to the Gulf of Mexico in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, and a youth trip to Memphis to learn about the issues of homelessness.
The church also has offered the community a Mother’s Day Out program since the 1970s.
It also participates in the Love Kitchen, sponsors a refugee family from Iraq, and supports the ministry of the Rockwood Ministerial Association.
Rockwood First Christian Church is at 328 W. Rockwood St. Call the church at 354-1753, for details.