- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The government doesn’t want the jury in Leon Houston’s next trial to hear about his recent courtroom victory.
On Nov. 6, a jury of eight women and four men found Houston not guilty of possessing firearms while being an unlawful user of a controlled substance. He’s scheduled to stand trial on Nov. 18 on a charge that he made a threat to kill attorney James Logan during a telephone conversation.
Houston represented himself on the firearms charge. The government now wants a judge to prohibit him or his attorney from mentioning the acquittal during the upcoming trial.
“The United States now realizes it needs to file such a motion seeking an order from the court directing the defendant and/or his counsel to refrain from mentioning to the jury extraneous, prejudicial and inflammatory remarks concerning certain topics from the defendant’s past and also with regard to the results of the trial of count one,” Assistant U.S. Attorney David Jennings wrote in a court filing last week.
The government also has ordered a word-for-word account of Houston’s closing argument to the jury that acquitted him.
“The United States needs this transcript to ensure that the topics to be covered in its motion will be complete,” Jennings said.
During his closing argument, Houston spoke about his long battle with law enforcement and federal officials that he said started in 1993 because someone “manufactured a bag of dope” in a civil rights trial. Houston said he’s written so many lawsuits over the years that he’s been diagnosed with an overuse injury called trigger thumb.
He also told the jury that the federal government is sinking America, taking away rights and engaging in terrorism.
Houston was acquitted of double-murder charges in Roane County Criminal Court in 2009. He also told the jury about that.
“A jury just like you people found me not guilty,” he said.
Attorney Charles Poole served as Houston’s advisory counsel on the firearms charge. Poole is supposed to represent Houston in the upcoming trial.