Taxpayers should receive W-2 forms no later than Feb. 14

-A A +A

It helps to get all tax documents together before starting on the 2013 tax return.

Taxpayers will need a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, which employers should send by the end of January.

Give it a couple of weeks to arrive by mail, said Dan Boone, IRS spokesman.

Those who haven’t received a W-2 by Feb. 14 should follow these steps:

• Contact employer first and request a W-2 if it hasn’t already been sent. Make sure the employer has the correct address.

• Contact the IRS. After Feb. 14, taxpayers who haven’t received their W-2s can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. Be prepared to provide name, address, Social Security number and phone number.

• File return on time — on or before April 15 — even without a W-2. File Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, in place of the W-2. Use the form to estimate income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. The IRS may delay processing the return while it verifies the information.

Those who need more time to file can get a six-month extension. File Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, with the IRS by April 15.

A taxpayer who receives the missing W-2 after filing a tax return and finds the information different from what was reported must correct your tax return. File Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to make the appropriate changes.

Forms and instructions are available at IRS.gov or by calling 800-829-3676.