- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Editor’s note: The deadline for including items in Calendar is at least one week before the event. Items appear as a public service as space is available. Unless otherwise noted, all events and activities are open to the public.
MONDAY, FEB. 17
• A health fair will be in Luminary United Methodist Church at 3401 River Road, Ten Mile. A blood lab will provide free screening services from 8 a.m. to noon. Call the church at 376-7040 to schedule a free bone density scan appointment and/or criteria. The UT Breast Health Outreach Program will provide access to mammograms by appointment from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. for both uninsured and insured women ages 40 and older; call 305-9753 to schedule an appointment. Many area health and safety service providers will be on hand to provide information; free refreshments will be available.
• Roane County Courthouse offices and courts will be closed in observance of Presidents Day.
TUESDAY, FEB. 18
• Volunteers with AARP Tax-Aide will be available to offer free assistance with income-tax filing from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. each Tuesday through April 8 in Kingston Community Center. Volunteers can e-file Form 1040 tax forms and basic schedules for free. In addition to W-2 forms for those employed and 1099-R forms for retirees, taxpayers will be required to show photo identification and Social Security cards for themselves and their dependents. Taxpayers should also provide a copy of last year’s income-tax return; copies of all Forms 1099-INT, -DIV, -MISC and -B that show other income received during the year; end-of-the-year Social Security statement, Form SSA-1099; a record of tuition and fees paid to attend college, and receipts for course-related books, supplies and equipment; documentation of energy-efficient home improvements; and a blank check to verify bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit of refunds.
WEDNESDAY, FEB. 19
• Free Volunteer Income Tax Preparation assistance will be available from noon to 5 p.m. each Wednesday and Thursday through April 10 in Roane County United Way at 2735 Roane State Hwy., Midtown. Free tax preparation and e-filing will be available. Participants should bring photo identification and their Social Security card, as well as Social Security cards for all dependents; all forms, such as W-2 and 1099; information about all deductions and credits; and a copy of last year’s income-tax return. Free financial counseling on banking, budgeting and credit will also be available. Call 882-7711 for more information.
SATURDAY, FEB. 22
• Oak Ridge Public Library will have an Affordable Care Act event from 2 to 5:30 p.m. in the library at 1401 Oak Ridge Turnpike. Volunteers will provide informa-tion and enrollment assistance for those interested in signing up for health insurance under the new Exchanges. Individual computer stations will be available; a Spanish translator will also be on hand. Those interested in enrolling should bring Social Security numbers, income and tax information, and details of employer-sponsored insurance options, if any, for themselves and any family members who may be enrolling. Contact 865-425-3455 or CircLib@oakridgetn.gov for more information.
MONDAY, FEB. 24
• A meeting about the ballfield at Roane County Park will begin at 6 p.m. in The Cottage at the park. Anyone interested in using the ballfield on a weekly schedule should attend. A schedule will be made for practices to start in early March. Contact Stacey McElhaney at 882-2640 or email@example.com for details.