- Special Sections
- Public Notices
A new smart phone application from TVA provides real time information about TVA lakes.
The app, initially available to iPhone users, offers lake elevations, water release schedules, yearly operating guides and Google-based maps.
Available for free at the iPhone App Store, the app gives lake enthusiasts access to TVA reservoir information from anywhere using Wi-Fi or the user’s cellular network. The app will also work on the iPod Touch and the iPad.
“One of the most popular destinations on TVA’s website is the lake information page,” said John McCormick, senior vice president of TVA’s River Operations. “Now, all of that information can be accessed right on your smart phone.”
Features of the TVA i-
Phone app include:
• Lake elevations — water levels information for all TVA lakes.
• Water release schedule — when TVA releases water through power generating turbines or spillway gates.
• Lake operating guide — yearly guide TVA uses to manage water levels.
• Navigation lock information — contact information and instructions for using the navigation locks.
• Navigation markers reference guide — explains channel markers and navigation aids.
• Google-based maps — locations of lakes in the Tennessee River system.
A similar app for the Android smart phone is under development and will soon be available at the Android Marketplace.
Other smart phone users can go to http://m.tva.com for a mobile version of the lake information web page.
TVA, a corporation owned by the U.S. government, provides electricity for 9 million people in parts of seven southeastern states at prices below the national average.
TVA, which receives no taxpayer money and makes no profits, also provides flood control, navigation and land management for the Tennessee River system and assists utilities and state and local governments with economic development.