.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Wartburg church among new National Register listings

-A A +A

Wartburg Presbyterian Church is among the eight Tennessee sites added this week to the National Register of Historic Places.

The National Register of Historic Places is the nation’s official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation.

“The National Register honors places that help Tennesseans understand our heritage and make our communities unique and enjoyable,” said Patrick McIntyre, executive director of the Tennessee Historical Commission, which administers the program in Tennessee.

“We are confident this recognition will help retain these unique sites for future generations to know and appreciate,” he added.

Constructed in 1883, Wartburg Presbyterian Church is a good example of Folk Victorian style.

During this timeframe, improved transportation and technology made it easier to have decorative details on buildings. Instead of hiring a craftsman, decorative pieces or the machinery to make them could be ordered and shipped in by rail.

The resulting Folk Victorian style combines elements from many academic styles of the mid-to-late 19th century.

Sawn or turned woodwork was generally applied to a rectangular building in the Folk Victorian style.

The trefoil designs in the windows and front of the Wartburg church and narrow tower represent the Gothic Revival style, while the large multi-light windows are more reflective of the Queen Anne style.

The church is covered with weatherboard on the exterior and uses wood bead board inside.

The 1937 chandeliers are original to the building and add to the overall historic architectural character of the building.

Other sites added to the National Register include:

• James Beaty General Merchandise Store, Fentress County, was built in 1924 in Grimsley on Hwy. 28. Dry goods, general merchandise, a post office and sandwich area are some of the uses of the store in the early to mid-20th century; gasoline pumps used to sit in front of the store, the commercial, social and economic center of Grimsley.

• Crockett Tavern Museum, Hamblen County. The Chapter of the Association for Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities planned and developed the Crockett Tavern and Museum in Morristown under the guidance of Sarah Dougherty and the Rev. Jhoner Simonton. Completed in 1958, the museum is a mid-20th century interpretation of the Crockett family’s pioneer life during their time in Hamblen County in the late-18th century.

• Greenback Depot, Loudon County. Before the Louisville and Nashville Railroad completed the Greenback Depot in 1914, there was already a rail stop in the community. As the rail line expanded and the community grew, the L&N decided to build a depot that could handle freight and passengers. Characteristic of many L&N depots, the Greenback Depot is covered in horizontal and vertical boards on the exterior, has wide overhanging eaves and bays for the station manager, office spaces and waiting rooms.

• M.A. Helm House near Riceville in McMinn County, is an example of a transitional design that includes elements of Federal and Greek Revival styles. The circa 1850 one-and-a-half story brick house’s character defining features include paneled wood doors, plaster and heart pine interiors, jib doors, muli-light windows and molded wood trim.

• Rocky Springs Presbyterian Church, Sevier County, was built in 1891 and added onto in 1982. Significant features include the steep pitch roof, Queen Anne decorative woodwork, large windows and belfry.

• Sears, Roebuck and Co. Catalog Distribution Center and Retail Store, known as Sears Crosstown, is a 10-story Art Moderne building at the corner of Autumn and Cleveland in Memphis and was built in 1927.

• Westmoreland Water Wheel and Gatepost, Knoxville. Charles Barber designed the 1923 wheelhouse and 1925 gatepost for Knoxville’s Westmoreland Heights subdivision. East Tennessee marble, wood, slate and iron are the materials used in the construction of the Tudor Revival structures. Edward Manning, an early resident of the area, is credited with the idea of building the water wheel.

The National Register of Historic Places is part of a nationwide program that coordinates and supports efforts to identify, evaluate and protect historic resources.

For more about the National Register or the Tennessee Historical Commission, visit www.tn.gov/environment/history.