Roane County Commissioner Jerry Goddard and his wife, Sherron, lost their home in a fire late Tuesday night around midnight.
“I assume they lost everything. You hate it any time, but this time of year it seems to be worse,” said Randy Scarborough, Midtown Volunteer Fire Department Chief.
Scarborough said it may have been a heater malfunctioning in the basement that caused the fire, which came up through the kitchen area.
Harriman Fire Department is closest to the home and ran mutual aid with Midtown.