Today's News


    Officials are still waiting to hear about the outcome of Roane County’s federal grant application that would provide funding for a drug court.

    The county applied for the $350,000 grant in April.

    “We will not know about the federal grant until late September,” District Attorney General Russell Johnson said Thursday.

    That hasn’t prevented the county from moving forward with the program, however.

    Earlier this month, the Roane County Commission voted to accept a $50,000 annual drug court grant from the state.

  • TennCare returns to old policy

    TennCare participants need to make sure they are going to a primary care provider.

    Kathy Cronan with Community Care Walk-in Clinic said staff members have been told in insurance meetings that TennCare is returning to a policy once referred to as “lock-in a doc.”

    Where participants have always had a primary-care provider listed, those same participants were able to use a different doctor.

  • Spreading the wings
  • Who wants to be a judge?

    The Governor’s Council for Judicial Appointments began accepting applications for Criminal Court Judge E. Eugene Eblen’s seat on Tuesday.

    The public notice said the council will meet in the 9th Judicial District on Sept. 25 to initiate the process of filling the vacancy.

    Candidates for the seat must be a licensed attorney, at least 30 years old, a state resident for at least five years and live in the 9th district, which is made up of Roane, Loudon, Meigs and Morgan counties.

  • Needle believed to be from Clinton man

    A hypodermic needle found at the Gravel Pit in Kingston is believed to have been tossed there by a man who was arrested after a brief pursuit last week.

    Franklin Eugene Brown of Clinton is charged with evading arrest, driving on a revoked license, possession of drug paraphernalia and reckless driving in the July 25 incident.

    According to Kingston police, officer Nathan Wilson saw Brown parked in a 1998 Chevy Monte Carlo at the Gravel Pit around 3:30 a.m.

  • Princess Theatre manager takes Knoxville job

    Megan Anderson, manager of the Princess Theatre in downtown Harriman, has accepted a new position as assistant manager at the Tennessee Theatre.

    Anderson was hired in August 2011 and has managed the Princess since it opened in March 2012. Her final day as manager will be Aug. 17.

    “It’s bittersweet,” Anderson said. “I have seen this building transform into what it is. The best part was seeing how happy people are when they leave shows, just knowing that the word is getting out and being excited about what’s coming up next.”

  • Rockwood cleanup moving forward, but at slow pace

    Rockwood is tackling its next cleanup project, a dilapidated property at 527 N. Wilder Ave.

    Rockwood City Council has approved a resolution for the city attorney to file a suit regarding the property.

    Officials said building inspector Harold Ishman issued an order on March 19 to demolish the building on the property, owned by Evelyn Sanders.

    Nothing, however, had been done toward that end.

  • Skidmore leaving as city clerk

    Harriman Clerk Angie Skidmore will no longer be a fixture at Harriman City Hall, but she has not moved far.

    Skidmore is down the street working as a bookkeeper at Harriman Utility Board.

    She leaves after six years as city clerk.

  • $9.1 million in TVA auction

    Ray Morgan rose early Saturday morning to make his way from Jefferson County down Interstate 40 and into a quiet lakeside neighborhood a bit north of Kingston.

    He found himself a shady spot on a front porch to study a catalog, all the while keeping his eye on the prize: Parcel No. 39.

    Or, as it’s better known, the house at 540 Emory River Road.

  • After three years, plea in Kingston shooting

    Tammy Rosado finally admitted to the 2012 slaying of James Cobb on Monday.

    However, Cobb’s daughter still expressed disappointment in Rosado’s punishment as she left the courthouse.

    “Five years isn’t enough,” Ashley Griffith said.

    Rosado was charged with second-degree murder for shooting Cobb.

    She pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of voluntary manslaughter and received a five-year prison sentence.

    “I really don’t think that’s long enough at all,” Griffith said.