Today's News

  • Thefts empty Roane accounts

    Many Roane County residents have suffered a recent financial shock.

    Many have noticed fraudulant purchases, often in large or multiple amounts, on credit or debit accounts.

    “I told Sgt. (Kelly) Pittman this morning it is someone walking around with a skimmer,” theorized Rockwood Animal Control Officer Mark Neeley, who lost $847 from his account just a day after pay day.

    Skimmers are devices that can steal personal information from cards.

  • Police pick up roaming tot

    A toddler was found wandering in the middle of the road on Vera Street in Kingston Thursday morning.

    According to a report on the incident, Kingston Police Chief Jim Washam was driving on Vera Street when he saw the toddler.

    She was wearing only a T-shirt and diaper.

    Washam summoned Assistant Chief Gary Nelson to the scene. Nelson said he recognized the child.

    “I had seen her before at 248 Vera St., so we headed to that address,” the report said.

  • Retired but not gone
  • House fire makes run up Walden Ridge

    When Harriman Fire Department responded to a Tuesday structure fire on Bazel Road, firefighters also had to tackle a brush fire that spread into the surrounding woods on Walden Ridge.

    Fueled by dried kudzu growing in the area, those flames soon spread over a large area of the ridge.

    “It was definitely over a hundred acres,” said Jason O’Shell with the Tennessee Division of Forestry, who was at the scene of the brush fire.

    “I reported it to my supervisor as 150.”

  • THE $50-MILLION QUESTION: Who bought the winning Powerball ticket in Harriman?

    Roane County’s biggest game changer has nothing to do with brackets, college basketball or March Madness.

    The mystery, however, does involve a ball. And it holds the power to be a life changer.

    Who bought the winning $50 million Powerball ticket in Harriman?

    As of Tuesday morning, the winner had yet to come forward to claim what Tennessee Lottery officials say is the third-largest prize in the state’s lottery history.

    The business that sold the ticket, however, is a mystery no more.

  • Tigers baseball defeats Harriman

    “They came ready to hit, and we dug ourselves too big of a hole in the first inning.” Harriman head coach Andy Adcox said.

    The hole being referred to was a five run deficit which proved to be too much for the Blue Devils to overcome as Rockwood picked up the 16-8.

    “We were able to come out and take advantage of some lucky breaks for us early.” Rockwood head coach Jake Witter said.

  • Midway’s Campbell leaves for Loudon

    Midway is once against looking for a head football coach.

    Now former Green Waves head coach Joe Campbell announced he would be leaving Midway to take over the reins of Loudon High School’s football team.

    “I’m excited,” Campbell said, “but it’s a mixture of emotions. The hardest part was to look at my players (and tell them).”

    During his four-year tenure South of the River, Campbell racked up a 22-24 overall record and reached the playoffs in three seasons.

  • Raiderettes fall to Columbia State

    The Roane State Raiderettes couldn’t find their swing as they lost a doubleheader to Columbia State. Roane State was unable to get the bats going at all in the first game as they lost the contest 9-0 and the game ended early, as the run-rule came in to effect after the fifth.

    The first inning showed some offense for Columbia State, as they were able to pull out three quick runs to jump ahead early. The Raiderettes got two runners into scoring position in the bottom of the first but were unable to pull any runs out of it to end the first.

  • Easter Egg Hunts 2015
  • Chicks, ducklings not wise gift choice

    Those Easter baskets are often filled with candy and colorful eggs.

    However, there is one type of gift to avoid during the holiday — baby chicks and ducklings.

    The Centers for Disease Control reports live poultry commonly carry Salmonella germs.

    When humans handle the birds, the bacteria can spread. Exposure to Salmonella commonly causes extreme abdominal upset. In severe cases, the illness can be fatal.