Harriman Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire at 10:55 a.m. Tuesday at a Harriman Housing Authority apartment at 704 Clinch St.
The resident wasn’t home when the accidental electrical fire started sometime Monday night.
The fire started in the bedroom, which caused heavy smoke and fire damage that affected the whole apartment.
The apartment windows were shut tight, which helped keep the fire from spreading.
“There wasn’t enough oxygen to sustain it, so it smothered itself out,” Goss said.