Coalfield downs Harriman in overtime, 42-41

-A A +A
By Brody Jones

In what was a back-and-forth barn-burner, the Coalfield Yellow Jackets used a critical two-point conversion in overtime from Cody Hill to Tyler Walls to eke out a 42-41 thriller Friday night over Harriman.

“It was a tough game tonight,” said Harriman head coach Travis Tapp. “Both teams fought hard to win and it was one of those games where you hate for someone to lose, but in the end it was us.” 

Coalfield started off the game with a 9-play, 58 yard drive that resulted in a 5-yard touchdown bullet from Hill to Walls. Walls’ PAT was no good, making the score 6-0 with 8:04 left in the first quarter.

Harriman threatened to score deep in Coalfield territory on their opening drive, but Brady Walls picked up an interception for the Jackets. 

After Coalfield was forced to punt, Harriman got to the Coalfield 25 yard line before the end of the first quarter with the score at 6-0. Harriman wrapped up their 7-play, 54-yard drive on a 3-yard touchdown plunge by Cole McAbee. 

Tyler Dishman’s PAT was good, making the score 7-6 with 11:18 left in the half. 

Both teams traded punts on their next drives before Coalfield scored on a 5-play, 41-yard drive, capped when Hill launched a 25-yard touchdown pass to Michael Clore. 

Hill found Forrest Adkisson for the two-point conversion to make the score 14-7 with 5:50 left in the half. 

Harriman responded right back with a 12-play, 65-yard trip to the end zone with Dimitrique Inman scoring on a 12-yard run. 

Dishman’s PAT split the uprights to tie the score at 14-14 with 48.7 seconds left in the half. 

But Coalfield responded with Hill engineering a 5-play, 62-yard, ending with a beautiful strike to Clore from six yards away.

Tyler Walls added the PAT to take the 21-14 lead going to the locker room. 

Coalfield kicked a perfect onside kick it to start the second half. Four plays and 48 yards later, Hill rifled another touchdown pass, this time to Anthony Wilkins for the 21-yard score. 

Walls’ PAT split the uprights to make the score 28-14 with 10:19 to go in the third quarter. 

Harriman’s next drive ended in disaster when a punt was snapped over Dishman’s head and recovered by Adkisson at the Devils 16 yard line, but a Coalfield penalty backed them up to where they were unable to convert on fourth down.

Harriman then marched 12 plays and 74 yards to score when Mark Chesser found Lucas Lunsford on a 17-yard strike. 

The PAT bounced off the goal post to make the score 28-20 with 44.4 seconds left  in the third quarter. 

On the opening play of the fourth quarter, Hill  launched a 53-yard touchdown pass to Wilkins to make the score 34-20 with 11:45 left in the game. 

Harriman, however, refused to give up and started their rally with a 7-play, 55-yard drive resulting in a Chesser to Inman 28-yard touchdown pass that made the score 34-27.

The Devils would recover an onside kick of their own and march 51 yards in 10 plays to score on a  McAbee 5-yard run up the gut. 

Dishman’s PAT was good, making the score 34-34 with 2:35 left in regulation. 

The Jackets had an opportunity to get a score on the board to avoid overtime, but fell 10 yards short.

Harriman got the ball first and took four plays to cover 10 yards and score on a one yard dive by McAbee. 

Dishman’s PAT was good, making the score 41-34. 

Coalfield got the ball and took two plays to score on a 2-yard run by Allen Seiber. 

Coalfield head coach Keith Henry channeled his inner riverboat gambler and decided to go for two  and Hill found Walls for the two-point play to give the Jackets the 42-41 win. 

Coalfield was led through the air by Hill (22-35, 269 yards, 5 TDs) and in rushing by Seiber (12-79-1 TD). Anthony Wilkins (10-166-2 TDs) was the Jackets leading receiver.

Harriman was led through the air by Chesser (9-13, 116 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT) and on the ground by Inman (22-131-1 TD) and McAbee (18-74-3 TDs).

Harriman won in rushing yardage, 233-88, but lost in passing yards, 269-98, to lose in total yardage, 353-331. 

 Harriman wraps up their regular season with the longest running consecutive high school football rivalry in Tennessee against the Rockwood Tigers.