RMS gets revenge on Jefferson

-A A +A
By Brownie Rose

After dropping last year’s Clinch Valley title game to Jefferson Middle School in the closing second, the Rockwood Middle School Tigers were out for revenge last week and that’s just what they got as Scott Harvey’s squad routed the Eagles, 46-6.

“We wanted to come out and dominate the game because of what happened last year,” said Tiger head coach Scott Harvey. 

It took the Rockwood Middle School Tigers about 15 seconds to begin the domination of Jefferson as Rockwood’s Kyron Inman returned the opening kickoff 85 yards for the first touchdown of the game. Inman also added the two-point run for an early 8-0 lead.

The intensity was evident Thursday against Jefferson. Besides the opening kickoff touchdown, Rockwood needed only a few plays to overwhelm the Eagles in the first quarter as they put a total of four TDs on the board in the opening quarter.

After Inman’s initial score, the Tiger defense held the Eagles to a three-and-out. 

Drake Long returned the punt 30 yards to the Jefferson 30 then Inman scored on the next play  and Long added the two-point conversion for a 16-0 lead barely two minutes into the game. 

Logan Abbott intercepted a Jefferson pass to end the next Eagle possession and returned it 50 yards to the 15. Inman roared in for his third TD of the game on the first play after the pick. 

Long added the two-point run for a 24-0 lead with 3:57 left in the first quarter.

Jefferson was again held to three plays and a punt then Rockwood took over on the Jefferson 40 and Brant Mitchell needed only one play to score from there. 

Inman added the two point conversion for a 32-0 lead with about a minute left in the opening quarter.

Coach Harvey called off the dogs in the second quarter running in a lot of second second and third stringers, but Inman would tack on a fourth TD on a seven-yard run with 2:43 left in the half. He also added the two-point run for a 40-0 lead.

Jefferson did get on the scoreboard with a 50-yard TD run late in the half.

The Tigers second unit played the entire second half and Corbin Van Patten would get the final touchdown on a one yard run late in the game.

Rockwood has now outscored their first two opponents 88-14 and don't appear to be ready to slow down anytime soon. Undefeated Oliver Springs is next up this Thursday at Oliver Springs.

 “Oliver Springs is well coached and has shown significant improvement since we scrimmaged them in the spring,” Harvey said. “We’ll need to bring the same intensity that we brought tonight if we want to do well.”