Rockwood falls at Greenback, 17-10

-A A +A
By Brody Jones

 Despite leading 10-7 at halftime, the Rockwood Tigers couldn’t overcome a powerful Greenback Cherokees ground game and fell to the ‘Kees, 17-10, Friday night at Cooper Field in Greenback.

“We didn’t play well at times tonight and it really showed,” Rockwood head coach John Webb said. “We got beat by a much more physical team tonight.”

Friday's contest started with an exchange of punts before the ‘Kees marched 75 yards in seven plays, scoring when QB Hogan Goodson found Eric Anderson for a 35-yard touchdown reception.

Jeremy Miller’s PAT was good, making the score 7-0 in favor of Greenback with 2:48 left in the opening quarter.

Rockwood got to the Greenback 48 yard line before the opening quarter came to a close then on the first play of the second quarter, QB Lucas Jolley found Brendan Kirkland for a 48-yard touchdown strike to cap off a six-play, 75-yard drive.

Jared Breazeale’s PAT was good, tying the score at 7-7 with 11:50 left in the half.

Rockwood took the lead on their next possession.

Following a Greenback three-and-out, the Tigers drove 24 yards in nine plays before Breazeale converted a 24-yard field goal to give the Tigers a 10-7 lead with 3:24 left in the half.

After another Cherokee three-and-out, Rockwood got the ball again and threatened to score, but an incomplete pass on fourth down deep in Cherokee territory thwarted the scoring opportunity and left the Tigers clinging to the three-point halftime lead.
Rockwood got into Cherokee territory again to start the second half, but the Tigers were forced to punt.

Then lightning struck as Richard Seymour capped a two-play, 86-yard drive with an 84-yard jaunt for a Cherokee touchdown.

Miller’s PAT was good, making the score 14-10 with 6:54 to go in the third quarter.

The rest of the quarter would see both offenses struggling for yards, but the Tigers were winning the field position battle as Greenback's first possession of the fourth quarter started on their own 6 yard line.

Twelve plays and 88 yards later, however, the ‘Kees got a 29-yard field goal from Miller to take a 17-10 lead with 3:56 to go in the game.

Rockwood gave it one last gasp, but could not convert on fourth down and Greenback would then run out the clock for the 17-10 win.

The Tigers had a 111-70 edge through the air, but lost on the ground 237-113 to lose in total yardage 307-224.

Greenback was led in passing by Goodson (2-5, 70 yards., 1 TD), and on the ground by Richard Seymour (19-196- 1 TD). Justin Kuhn (13 tackles, 1 TFL) and Daniel McCloud (9 tackles) led the
Greenback defense.

Rockwood was led by the arm of Lucas Jolley (9-16, 111 yards, 1 TD) and the rushing of Ethan Headrick (6-48). Brendan Kirkland (3-75- 1 TD) led the Tigers in receiving while Cameron Webster (6 tackles) led the defense.

“I don’t think I would have done anything different in the second half, but we just needed to make more plays,” Webb said. “We also have a lot of things to work on and hope we get them figured out in time for next week.”

Next up for the Tigers (1-1) is a showdown at Kingston (2-0).

“Kingston’s always got a good team and this year is no exception,” Webb said.