Yellow Jackets drop opener

-A A +A
By Jason Perry

The Kingston Yellow Jackets couldn’t get the bats going Wednesday evening against the Gibbs Eagles and lost the baseball season opener, 11-2, at Legion Field at Fort Southwest Point.

The first two innings were scoreless and uneventful as it appeared the game was set to be a duel between Kingston pitcher Trey Schulz and Gibbs hurler Ayden Hutchinson.

The wind at Fort Southwest Point other plans.

When the bottom of the Gibbs lineup came to the plate in the third inning, things had gotten gusty.

Bryson Shown gave one of Shulz’s pitches a ride deep into the outfield with a little extra push from the wind.

The ball dropped and bounced over the fence for a ground rule double.

The extra-base hit set the stage for Gibbs to play small ball.

A sacrifice bunt advanced Shown. Another scored him to make the score 1-0.

With two out, the Eagles scored three more times in the inning, thanks in no small part to the fickle gusts of Mother Nature.

Kingston was able to respond in the fourth.

A solo home run by first baseman Chandler Worley flew well over the center field fence for the Yellow Jackets first run of the game and the score was 4-1.

A run by Gibbs in the top of the fifth made the score 5-1.

Kingston showed it wasn’t going to let the game go, though.

A single by Tanner McNew and back-to-back passed balls while Kain Collins was at the plate, gave the Jackets an opportunity.

Collins grounded out, but it scored McNew and Kingston was in striking distance, 5-2.

The Jackets couldn’t tack any more on in the inning.

It looked like it was going to settle into a matter of Gibbs trying to withstand the whittling away of its lead.

The wind had other plans.

When Schulz got into trouble in the top of the sixth fram, Nathan McNelley was brought in for relief.

The Eagles struck.

Gibbs started hitting the reliever almost immediately with more than a few hits getting nudges from the wind.

When the dust had settled on the offensive burst, the Eagles had scored six runs in the frame and led 11-2.

Kingston was able to get out of the inning, but the spark at the plate shown earlier was gone.