Local News

  • Rockwood official questions citizenship of store owner

    When Rockwood City Council approved a certificate of compliance for the new owner of Gateway Spirits, one council member had some questions about the citizenship of the new owner.

    Councilman Dudley Evans posed the question to Sanjay B. Patel, the sole member of Dhruvi LLC, at Rockwood’s City Council meeting last week.

    “I am a U.S. Citizen,” Patel told Evans.

    He also entertained Evans questions about why “the hell” Patels always seem to be in this sort of industry.

  • Two boys from Loudon County found in Rockwood


    Two Loudon County boys were found, thanks to Rockwood Police this weekend.

    Officers Jared Hall and Charles Haubrich were praised by Rockwood Police Department for finding 13-year-old Justin Brafford and 10-year-old Thomas Reece over the weekend. An East Tennessee Endangered Child Alert was issued for Loudon County Sheriff’s Office for the boys after they disappeared, last being seen at their home in Lenoir City 10:15 p.m. May 1.

  • Students exposed to perils of drunk driving
  • Kingston firefighters dive into new line of rescue work

    Kingston Fire Department expects to be ready to jump right in if a water emergency happens at this year’s Fourth of July festival.

    A group of firefighters have been training to be rescue divers and are well on their way to being certified this summer.

    They’ll be the first diving team in Roane County, officials said.

    “Ten members will be certified,” said Kingston Fire Chief Willie Gordon. “They are doing their classes now. They’ll be certified by July 4.”

  • Doug Wilson — pharmacist, Democrat civic leader — dies

    Doug Wilson, who died Wednesday at age 72, was not just a well-known Rockwood pharmacist.

    The operator of the former Wilson’s Drug Store and civic leader was a cherished member of the community.

    Denny Fritts said he was an old family friend.

    “We all did business with him at his store, and we all had a line of credit,” Fritts said. “I worked as an independent contractor, and I didn’t have insurance, but Doug never failed to give the kids or me whatever we needed.”

  • A VIEW from LICK SKILLET: Can we all quit playing, ‘Let’s pretend?’

    Gentle reader, when we were very young, and radio was the thing, there was a children’s programme called “Let’s Pretend,” featuring stories calling on the young listeners to leave their everyday world, use their imaginations and enter into a world of fantasy and make-believe.

  • GUEST OPINION: Messages of hate, signs of freedom


    First Amendment Center

    Freedom of speech took a hit this week when New York City’s transit authority voted to ban all political and public-issue advertising on its buses and subways.

    A group called the American Freedom Defense Initiative (AFDI) sponsored the message that triggered the decision.

  • Unloading household hazardous waste
  • Roane Relay for Life
  • Harriman house fire on Carlock Ave.

    Harriman Fire Department put out a kitchen fire Thursday afternoon.

    Firefighters were paged to the 412 Carlock Ave. home at 3:22 p.m.

    “It was an accidental cooking fire caused by grease,” explained Chief Brad Goss.

    The department was able to get the fire under control in about 10 minutes. It was contained to the kitchen and where it had climbed into a portion of the attic. However, the home suffered more extensive smoke and heat damage. The residents are staying with family, according to Goss.